|Story of Sustainability...|
Sustainability is a story about home, our home, the City of Canning and the larger planet earth – what we need to understand and how it works in order to live a good life now and into the future.
The City has adopted sustainability principles based upon those agreed by scientists from all across the world. These principles are to reduce and eventually eliminate:
1. …fossil fuel dependence and wasteful use of scarce metals and minerals
2. …reliance upon persistent chemicals and wasteful use of synthetic substances
3. …encroachment upon nature (e.g. land, water, wildlife, bush land, soil, ecosystems)
4. …conditions that systematically undermine people’s ability to meet their basic human needs
By learning more about what these are and how they fit with our work we’re working towards making everyone who works at the City a ‘Sustainability Champion’.
For further information watch the following video:
The City’s objectives regarding sustainability are:
• To raise community and organisational awareness of sustainability and understanding of their responsibilities;
• To educate and demonstrate sustainability principles to the community and organisation; and
• To support and enable the community and organisation to be change makers and take action to embed sustainability within the City of Canning and it’s systems.
The City has recently completed the installation of a geothermal bore at Riverton Leisureplex as a demonstration of our commitment to sustainability. Please watch our video below.
For information on upcoming workshops, please click here.